What: Sea Turtle Baby Shower
Hosted by: Pensacola Beach Advocates along with sponsors – Island Times, Santa Rosa Island Authority and Pensacola Beach Chamber of Commerce
When: June 4, from 9 a.m. to Noon
Where: Gulfside Pavilion on Pensacola Beach
Purpose: To educate locals and visitors about nesting sea turtles and their hatchlings as well as the beach ecosystem.
The Pensacola Beach Advocates host the Sea Turtle Baby Shower, Saturday, June 4 from 9 a.m. until Noon at the Gulfside Pavilion on Pensacola Beach along with presenting sponsors – Island Times, Santa Rosa Island Authority and the Pensacola Beach Chamber of Commerce. It’s free, so load up your family and join the fun.
The Sea Turtle Baby Shower presents information at this family-friendly event about sea turtles and their habitats. Learn what you can do to help nesting sea turtles as they return home to our beaches this nesting season. Learn about the beach ecosystem and other animals who call the beach their home at this “hands on” event which featuring 20 exhibitors.
Pensacola Beach Advocates President Rhonda Dorfman said, “Arrive early and take the sea turtle oath. Pick up your activity booklet and visit the exhibitors. Get your booklet stamped after you’ve learned something fun and exciting. Then you can pick up your surprise.”
Participants can watch Dan the Sand Man create a sand sculpture. Meet Mendi the Mermaid, participate in the Trash Dash or collect sea grass with the Panhandle Manatee group. Boogie, Inc. will provide music.
Want to be the 2022 Sea Turtle Queen? Make a $5 donation and register for a drawing to become the Sea Turtle Queen. Donations can be made online PBAdvocates.org or at the event. The Queen is given a custom tiara designed by Sheri Tigue of Nashville along with a queen’s sash. The Queen also rides in the Pensacola Beach Christmas parade. The queen’s name is drawn at random. You do not need to be present to win.
In the event of rain, the Sea Turtle Baby Shower will move indoors to seven beach locations. For last minute updates, check the Pensacola Beach Advocates Facebook page. For more information, firstname.lastname@example.org or pbadvocates.org.
- 9 a.m. – Take the Sea Turtle Oath
- 9:30 a.m. – Ocean Hour Trash Dash relay with prizes
- 10 a.m. – Story-time with Mendi the Mermaid
- 11 a.m. -Floating in the Ocean Clean Water Demonstration
- 11:30 a.m. – Dan in the Sand will unveil his sand sculpture
- 11:45 a.m. – Sea Turtle Tiara Drawing for the 2022 Sea Turtle Queen
- Audubon Florida
- Boogie Inc.
- Dan in the Sand
- Emerald Coast Utility Authority Water Truck
- Escambia County Lifeguards
- Escambia County Sea Turtle Conservation Program
- Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge
- Emerald Coast Fossil Hunters
- Healthy Gulf
- Island Times – Shelley Johnson Sea Turtle Oath
- Landshark Landing
- Lisa Darr Artwork
- Mendy the Mermaid
- National Park Service
- Navarre Beach Sea Turtle Conservation Center
- Ocean Hour
- Panhandle Manatees
- Pensacola Beach Advocates
- Pensacola Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Pensacola Mess Hall
- Pensacola and Perdido Bay and Estuary Program
- Port of Pensacola
- Santa Rosa Island Authority